My first encounter with Equal Exchange came in the form of tiny little chocolates. They were right next to the check-out counter, and since I'm a sucker for quality chocolate, I bought some.
Upon arriving home (30 minutes from the source of my new-found chocolate), I determined I should have bought more.
I think I would have had the same thought no matter how much I had brought home with me.
I have since discovered that a lot of thought, effort, and heart went into making that chocolate. Since my first taste of my now-favorite brand of chocolate, I've done a lot of reading on fair trade products (especially chocolate- my favorite product of them all) and Equal Exchange specifically. I have fallen in love. (This page is a good starting point if you'd like to do the same.) These are some of my favorite parts:
- Equal Exchange buys from co-operatives of small-scale farmers.
- Those farmers own their land...
- ...and choose how to invest the premiums that they are required to pay back into their own communities.
- Equal Exchange supports organic farming. Organic certification is expensive, but is much more manageable when spread out over several farmers.
- The chocolate is in no way produced through child slave labor. This is not the case with many chocolate companies.
I am really excited about today's giveaway. In fact, I wish I could just keep it to myself...but it is the season of giving. Especially in light of my pursuits of Christmas spirit, I should probably unclench my fists from this one.
I think you'll be so glad I did.
Ready for this?
Equal Exchange is giving away a case of 12 of their Organic Chocolate Caramel with Sea Salt bars to one lucky winner.
No duplicate comments. You can receive up to 3 total entries by selecting one or all of the following options:
1) Look around the Equal Exchange fair trade gifts store and leave a comment about a gift you'd like for yourself.
2) Look around the Equal Exchange fair trade gifts store and leave a comment about someone you know who would appreciate the mission and products of Equal Exchange. What would you put on your for-other-people wish list?
3) Leave a comment about your favorite aspect of Equal Exchange. (You can choose something written here or something you found on their own site.)
You have until this Friday, December 16th, to enter! The winner will be chosen via random.org.